Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Thin Models

So, this blog is about to take a turn, hopefully for the better, but I can't make any promises. I guess it doesn't matter because really it's just more of a therapy thing for me. I have obsessed about my appearance and weight in some way or another as most women do, but I'm sick of the shame and guilt surrounding my own weight so I want to write about it. I think that it's something that most women I know can relate to and I want to share my journey with you. I read that most people would rather date a drug addict than someone who is overweight. Really?! Rather date a drug addict! In general (and I don't think I am being overly harsh in my assessment), drug addicts can be real assholes; selfish, narcissistic, and manipulative. The majority of people would rather have THAT than someone who is overweight! WOW! Here's the thing, it's not that people aren't wonderful to me and tell me I'm beautiful. I have that, thanks to wonderful friends and family. It's just that society is screaming pretty loudly the complete opposite. I don't want this blog to be a bitch-fest, just want to share some insights into the Obese Obsessed Roller Coaster. I know there are far worse things to struggle with, but this is mine and maybe someone out there can relate. Maybe we as a society can change the way we approach the overweight person. Today I read this article online. They are starting to do touch up's on skinny models to make them look more curvy. I thought this was interesting...in one way this is good, but they can't hire women who actually look this way? Maybe that is the way things will go now. What do you think?

3 comments:

mormon birth mom said...

Yeah! Let's see normal women in print ads and fashion! (And normal clothes for that matter) I'm with you on this whole subject and I support your blogging 100%

Juli said...

I'm glad you can share. I heard of an article and not sure where to find it that talks about the importance of complimenting things that matter. You can be beautiful and overweight, of course. I am personally trying to compliment people on things that relate to not just their appearance. I think the compliments we give kind of send a message about what we value. I think part of the problem is society's emphasis on appearance, period. And by the way, you are beautiful, talented, and a loving cousin, although we are far away! Glad you're doing this blog.

Sara said...

Thanks to both of you! I appreciate the support. And Juli, I think you are right on about the compliment thing. I also think its important to compliment the things that really matter, like strength of character. :)